The primary role of the District Nurse is to support student learning.
The nurse accomplishes this by implementing strategies that
promote student and staff health and safety.
- Provides health assessments, accommodations and direct health services for students with medical concerns. The district nurse is an integral part of the special education team.
- Serves as a coordinator of nursing services and provides direct nursing care.
- Serves as a medical supervisor for health care provided in the school setting.
- Obtains health histories and attends 504 and Individual Educational Plan meetings for students with medical issues.
- Develops Individual Student Health Plans (ISHP) to accommodate students with different medical conditions.
- Provides state mandated services such as vision and hearing screening for students in Kindergarten, 2nd, 5th 8th grades.
- Trains and monitors staff at the school sites to do medical procedures.
- Provides direct medical services such as giving insulin shots to students who are diabetic.
- Identifies health and safety concerns in the school environment and promotes a nurturing school environment.