In response to the school shootings at Santee High School, the Grossmont Union High School District (GUHSD) developed an emergency response CD for use by school officials, law enforcement, and other emergency services, essentially, putting all of the site safety information on a CD. Modeling after the efforts of GUHSD, Capistrano Unified School District developed a similar program for all of the schools within CUSD.
The school safety website (CUSD-ER) contains vital information for site administrators, law enforcement and the fire department. It can be utilized in a variety of scenarios. The school safety CD contains the following information:
- General school information (address, etc.)
- Administrators’ information (phone numbers/response time)
- Aerial photographs of the campus
- Campus maps with digital pictures of each area
- Hazardous storage information with digital pictures
- School communication/Alarm systems
- Building construction information
- Utility shutoffs
- Traffic and staging
- Staff information
CUSD-ER could be utilized by:
- Site administrators in either an emergency or just in their day to day operations
- District administrators at the District Emergency Operations Center or as a resource in the Mobile Command Center
- Law Enforcement and/or Firefighters responding to a school site emergency. Aerial pictures and floor plans of each school are loaded on all of the Sheriff’s South County patrol vehicles.